11410 99th Pl NE Kirkland, WA 98033 | Phone: (425) 605-0920 | Email
The Mansion's History
Shumway Mansion was originally built on seven acres in Kirkland Washington, in 1909, by J.G. Bartsch for the Shumway family.
The Shumway family migrated from Belchertown, Massachusetts. The three Shumway brothers, John, George, and Edward homesteaded near Bow, Washington. Carrie Holland Shumway, her mother Mary and four sisters, Elizabeth, Emily, Mary, and Harriet arrived in the Seattle area in the late 1800's.
Through the years Carrie Shumway left her mark on Kirkland's history. She was elected to the Kirkland City council in 1916, becoming the first woman in the State of Washington to sit on a city council. She was also one of the founders of the Kirkland Woman's Club, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Kirkland Community Congregational Church and also a State Officer of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Carrie and her sisters also started the Seattle Bicycle Club and the Seattle Camera Club.
In 1944, Carrie, at the age of 86 and the last survivor of the original owners of The Shumway Mansion, sold the property. In the intervening years there were several ownership changes eventually ending with the sale to Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hall. Mrs. Hall (Dr. Ruth Hayer) converted Shumway into a nursing home, then later used it for her chiropractic business.
In 1981 Mr. Philip Carter purchased the property as an investment with the intent to develop the land into a more intense use. He obtained a demolition permit on the house at this time so the land could be cleared.
In the late part of 1982 Richard and Salli Harris of Edmonds, Washington saw The Shumway Mansion for the first time and were charmed by this replica of the past. They approached the owner with the idea of relocating and restoring this marvelous old structure for use as a Reception Center and Bed and Breakfast Inn.
The problems that were faced and finally conquered took until March 3, 1985. The Shumway Mansion then started its move down the hill, through Kirkland, to its new home in north Kirkland. It arrived on site on March 5, 1985.
Shumway Mansion opened on June 22, 1985 as a 24 room antique furnished Reception Center and Bed and Breakfast Inn resting on 2.4 acres overlooking Juanita Bay in Kirkland Washington.
In 2008 this local Historical Mansion was given new life as a State Certified Adult Family Home.
All of this was made possible thanks to the belief and unrelenting efforts of not only all of the Harris family, but also their friends and supporters who wanted to see Shumway Mansion live again.